Feb 20, 2012

Spotlight: Valley Forge National Park

Valley Forge was the site of the 1777-78 winter encampment of the Continental Army. The park commemorates the sacrifices and perseverance of the Revolutionary War generation and honors the ability of citizens to pull together and overcome adversity during extraordinary times.

Valley Forge National Park is one of the most beautiful places you can get your wedding photos taken. I should know - I almost had my photos taken there.

But before you go and get your photos taken there - there are a few things you need to know. There are registration fees, and permits and other things you must take into account before just showing up on wedding day.

Do I need a permit to have wedding pictures taken in the park?
Yes, you will need a permit to have wedding pictures taken in the park. The Special Use Permit will insure another bride, or an event, is not permitted to be in the same area at the same time you are. Please use the Filming Short Form for wedding pictures.

How much does a Special Use Permit cost?

How far ahead of my event should I send the Special Use Permit Application in?
At a minimum, send your application in to the park 30 days prior to your event. If you have all the information about your event, you can send in your application up to one year in advance. The sooner you submit your application, the better the chances are you will get the time and location in the park you are applying for. Allow 30 days for the park to review your application and issue you your Special Use Permit.

I want to be married and/or have my wedding pictures taken at the Washington Memorial Chapel.
The Washington Memorial Chapel is not owned by the National Park Service. To have a wedding there, or to have your pictures taken at the National Memorial Chapel, you must contact the Chapel directly at 610-783-0120. The Washington Memorial Chapel is an Episcopal Parish in the Diocese of Pennsylvania. The Chapel receives no government funds and is entirely supported by contributions from members and visitors.

Do I need a permit to hold my wedding ceremony in the park?
Yes, you will need a permit to hold your wedding ceremony in the park regardless of the size of the wedding party.

Do you have any suggestions on where in the park I could get married?

We have a small gazebo up behind the P. C. Knox Estate, on Wilson Road, off Yellow Springs Road. This area offers a quiet place, somewhat off the beaten path, in a lovely location. Parking is along the roadside very near the gazebo. Many brides have chosen this unique location.

National Memorial Arch

More photos can be found on the Valley Forge Flickr account here.

No comments:

Post a Comment